Daisies

Daisies

Monday, February 6, 2012

Button Behaved







If you recall last weekend I went to an auction looking for vintage buttons and came home with a teak patio furniture set. This weekend I went to another auction and I am pleased to say I stayed focused and did score some buttons that were oldies but goodies. As a result of my good behavior I did not have to call in extra heavy duty equipment to haul anything home ( making some brownie points with the hubby.) I also bought a few vintage hats that were fun. Most importantly, I had some fun with a friend. We were supposed to head over east to get some food for her horses and stop at some fun thrift stores but the weather was bad so we just stayed local. Next weekend I have one more sale I would like to scout out for more buttons. It will be interesting to see if I can behave myself again.

I have been making button jewelry and it is surprising how many buttons it takes. ( I will post pictures of my finds as well as my creations.) Please check on my Pinterest board for a tutorial on how to sew button bracelets. The metal ones I am showing you are made with shank buttons, jump rings and a ready made chain bracelet from Joann Fabric. It can take up to 40-60 buttons to make the charm like version. It depends how big the buttons are and how full you like it. You pry open the jump ring slip it through the shank of the button then slip to around the link of the bracelet. Each link gets a button on each side. It is pretty easy to do but it does take some patience.


I have done two" crafternoons" making button jewelry. One was at Thanksgiving with my family ( my sister-in-law declared it the best craft ever!). The second time was with my staff( 16 people) for our Christmas party. They made different kinds of jewelry such as rings, brooches, bracelets, hair clips etc. We used vintage earrings at that party as well.
I am thinking about teaching a class at a local shop in town. I'll let you know more about that in the future. Thanks for stopping by today!












Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment.